Dr. Johnson received the title of veterinarian at Ohio State University, then she spent three years in a small animal clinic in New York, and graduated MA and residency at the University of Illinois. She is a certified member of the American College of Veterinary Medicine. The theme of research thesis of dr Johnson was a feline asthma. After residency, Dr. Johnson held an internship in the field of oncology and radiology at Colorado State University. She received a grant funded by the National Institute of Health Heart, Lung and Blood on the study of the effects of physical activity on vascular function in the lungs, and in 2000 received a PhD in Physiology from the University of Missouri. Dr. Johnson is the editor of the chapter on respiratory diseases in the publication of “5 Minute Veterinary Consult and Current Veterinary Therapy XV,” and recently wrote a textbook in the field only to respiratory diseases “Clinical Canine and Feline Respiratory Medicine”. He is a member of the Veterinary and Comparative Respiratory Society.
Dr. Johnson’s research interests include clinical respiratory disease of dogs and cats, and interactions heart-respiratory system. In December 2000, Dr. Johnson started working at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the University of California, where he is currently a professor at the Department of Internal Medicine and Epidemiology. She is leading classes in the field of respiratory diseases and clinical medicine for veterinary students and consultations in the field of endoscopy and physiology of the respiratory system for residents.
• Outcome and prognostic factors in infective endocarditis in dogs: 113 cases (2005-2020). J Vet Intern Med. 2022 Mar; 36(2):429-440. Reagan KL, Visser LC, Epstein SE, Stern JA, Johnson LR. PMID: 35261088; PMCID: PMC8965206.
• Letter regarding “Evaluation of bronchial narrowing in coughing dogs with heart murmurs using computed tomography”. J Vet Intern Med. 2021 11; 35(6):2555-2556. Szatmári V, Kittleson MD, Johnson LR, Pollard RE, Singh MK. PMID: 34585766; PMCID: PMC8692173.
• Utility of bronchoscopy combined with surgery in the treatment and outcomes of dogs with intrathoracic disease secondary to plant awn migration. Vet Surg. 2019 Oct; 48(7):1309-1317. Gibson EA, Balsa IM, Mayhew PD, Phillips K, Giuffrida MA, Culp WTN, Steffey MA, Johnson LR. PMID: 31334873.
• A multidisciplinary, minimally invasive approach combining lacrimoscopy and fluoroscopically guided stenting for management of nasolacrimal apparatus obstruction in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2018 Jun 15; 252(12):1527-1537. Strom AR, Culp WTN, Leonard BC, Dear JD, Wisner ER, Johnson LR, Maggs DJ. PMID: 29889638.
• Molecular diagnosis of Pneumocystis pneumonia in dogs. Med Mycol. 2017 Nov 01; 55(8):828-842. Danesi P, Ravagnan S, Johnson LR, Furlanello T, Milani A, Martin P, Boyd S, Best M, Galgut B, Irwin P, Canfield PJ, Krockenberger MB, Halliday C, Meyer W, Malik R. PMID: 28339756.
• Upper airway obstruction in Norwich Terriers: 16 cases. J Vet Intern Med. 2013 Nov-Dec; 27(6):1409-15. Johnson LR, Mayhew PD, Steffey MA, Hunt GB, Carr AH, McKiernan BC. PMID: 24112556.
• Unilateral laryngeal paralysis subsequent to surgical ligation of a patent ductus arteriosus in an 8-week-old domestic shorthair cat. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2013 Jun 15; 242(12):1727-31. Adamovich-Rippe KN, Steffey MA, Ybarra WL, Johnson LR. PMID: 23725437.
• Vertebral heart scores in eight dog breeds. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2013 Jan-Feb; 54(1):3-8. Jepsen-Grant K, Pollard RE, Johnson LR. PMID: 22994206.
• Computed tomography of the pharynx in a closed vs. open mouth position. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2011 Jul-Aug; 52(4):357-61. Laurenson MP, Zwingenberger AL, Cissell DD, Johnson LR, McPeters MJ, Spriet MP, Taylor SL, Pollard RE. PMID: 21382119.
• Repeated rhinoscopic and serologic assessment of the effectiveness of intranasally administered clotrimazole for the treatment of nasal aspergillosis in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2010 Apr 01; 236(7):757-62. Pomrantz JS, Johnson LR. PMID: 20367042.
• Changes in tracheal dimensions during inspiration and expiration in healthy dogs as detected via computed tomography. Am J Vet Res. 2009 Aug; 70(8):986-91. Leonard CD, Johnson LR, Bonadio CM, Pollard RE. PMID: 19645579.
• Successful treatment of invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in a neonatal foal. J Vet Intern Med. 2009 Mar-Apr; 23(2):375-8. Hilton H, Galuppo L, Puchalski SM, Johnson L, Robinson K, Mohr FC, Maher O, Pusterla N. PMID: 19210313.
• Clinical, clinicopathologic, and radiographic findings in dogs with aspiration pneumonia: 88 cases (2004-2006). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008 Dec 01; 233(11):1742-7. Kogan DA, Johnson LR, Jandrey KE, Pollard RE. PMID: 19046033.
• CHAPTER 16 Diseases of the Trachea. . 2008 Jan 1; 155-163. Johnson JL.
• Chronic exercise training improves ACh-induced vasorelaxation in pulmonary arteries of pigs. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2000 Feb; 88(2):443-51. Johnson LR, Parker JL, Laughlin MH. PMID: 10658009.